After 1 year and 8 months I will be leaving Vietnam. I arrived from Turkey in January 2020, intending to leave after 3 months, and have been paying to extend my tourist visa ever since (the cheapest worked out at $60 per month and the most expensive $120 per month). My intention now is to leave Phong Nha, Vietnam, in September and head back to Dalyan, Turkey, and hope that I will be able to get back to the UK to see family and friends too. Below is a list of my top 10 reasons why I am leaving;
1. Immigration will no longer extend my tourist visa and I have to leave Vietnam by the 9th September.
2. I have no access to money in Vietnam, my UK bank cards have expired (and I’ve spent all my UK money), plus I can no longer access my Turkish bank account here.
3. It wouldn’t be ideal for Captain Caveman to have to continue to support both of us through the winter.
4. I’m running out of good underwear.
5. I need to renew my Turkish residency but can only do it when there.
6. My UK driving licence expired 2 years ago and I can only renew it from a country where I can post back the old license.
7. None of my family or friends can enter Vietnam to visit me but there’s a chance I will get to see a few of them sooner, in Europe somewhere.
8. I no longer have any insurance in Vietnam but I do in Turkey.
9. If I don’t leave in September I could be stuck here illegally for a while and may have to pay overstay fees or be denied access when I do leave.
10. My 10 year passport is going to need renewing (after only 4 years) because it’s getting full.