1) Go on a tour – most adventure tours will go ahead as planned or in a safely modified way so check with the company and get ready for your adventure. You will be out of the rain when you’re in a cave so there is no need to cancel any pre-booked tours.
2) Eat – there are so many good places to eat in Phong Nha that you will be spoiled for choice. A few places also do takeaway and delivery too.
3) Drink – grab a smoothie or a glass of wine. Lots of places will offer free water refills too so you can help reduce the amount of plastic.
4) Phong Nha cave – spend a half day on this trip from the Tourism Centre by boat which will drop you inside the cave for you to explore inside both caves.
Captain Caveman’s photo at Phong Nha Cave
5) Play pool – there are a few bars and hostels offering free pool tables including Easy Tiger, Sunflowers & Phong Nha Farmstay.
6) Read a book – you can often do a book swap or even buy a new book at a cheap price at Capture Cafe.
7) Get a massage – my favourite is Dr Sy of Magic Fingers, he’s very good and great value. If you’re staying at Chay Lap Farmstay resort they also offer a massage service.
8) Have a manicure or pedicure – there are a few places around so ask your homestay for a recommendation or visit Lemon Tree for a treatment or two.
9) Go to the market and buy a rain poncho and plastic sandals – the local market will sell cheap coverups and shoes for if you are still wanting to get out and about by foot, bicycle, or motorbike. Expectt to get a poncho and sandals for less than $3.
10) Sing – there are so many karaoke places where you can rent the room by the hour to belt out a few ballads and ruin a couple of rock anthems. They vary in price according to the size of room, variety of songs and quality of the snacks.
11) Go for a swim – you’re already going to get wet so why not have a swim in one of the many pools in Phong Nha.
12) Cooking Class – why not learn how to cook some local food and then eat it! Your hostel or homestay can advise of one close by.
13) Sit in a bar or cafe and people watch – there are so many places you can sit and watch the world go by, and wonder at the people out in the rain wandering about.